It’s Never Too Early To Have a Happy, Healthy Smile
Teach your kids good oral hygiene in Kansas City and you’ll be setting them up for a lifetime of healthy habits! According to healthychildren.org the top dental problem with young children is tooth decay:
- One out of 10 two-year-olds already have one or more cavities
- By age three, 28% of children have one or more cavities
- By age five, nearly 50% of children have one or more cavities
Care for Infants
Oral care has an effect on our total overall health and it’s never too early to get started with your kids, even when they are infants. If you have an infant at home you can start oral care even before their first tooth comes in around six months:
- Gums should be wiped after feeding with a soft washcloth to help prevent bacteria
- When teeth come in, brush two times a day using a fluoride toothpaste and soft bristle toothbrush
- Use only a smear of toothpaste the size of a grain of rice
- Prevent baby bottle tooth decay by taking the bottle away after your child finishes drinking
- Make a dental appointment before their first birthday or after their first tooth comes in, whichever happens first
Oral Hygiene for Kids
The key is to make good oral hygiene in Kansas City part of children’s daily routine, so it becomes second nature to them. Here are some ways to guide them:
- Help brush their teeth with twice a day with fluoride toothpaste the size of a grain of rice, using a child-appropriate toothbrush with soft bristles
- By age 3 when their baby teeth are in, you can use a pea-sized smear of toothpaste
- Show them how to rinse and spit and supervise them so they don’t swallow the toothpaste
- Show them how to brush either up or down or using a circular motion. Be sure to include the back teeth
- When teeth gaps close, show them how to floss
- Kids love sugar but unfortunately, sugar can lead to cavities. Be sure your child brushes after eating anything with sugar, especially sticky candy or dried fruit
- Avoid sugary drinks in a sippy cup for long periods of time
- Take your child to the dentist every six months
By teaching your kids proper oral hygiene early and ensuring they see a dentist twice a year, you are putting them on the path to optimal dental health. We all only have one set of teeth. Let’s make sure we keep them healthy for a lifetime.
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation & Learn Why You Should Teach Your Kids Oral Hygiene in Kansas City!
When you are ready to learn more about kids’ oral hygiene in Kansas City, schedule your child’s or teen’s Burleson Orthodontics initial exam, complimentary consultation, digital x-rays, thorough smile analysis ($249 value), and more, by calling 816-384-0801 or click here for our convenient online form.
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontic care feel free to contact Burleson Orthodontics at 816-384-0801 or by clicking here.