Burleson Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry specializes exclusively in children from infants to teens. We understand going to the dentist can be scary, so we take great care to treat our young patients gently and compassionately, using child-friendly tools that are appropriate for their smaller mouths. We also believe in the importance of teaching good oral habits early in life, so they grow up to have healthy mouths and smiles – and all the advantages that go with them. For this reason, many of our patients consider us to be the best pediatric dentist in Kansas City, MO.
In general, tooth decay is still one of the most common diseases in children and, if left untreated, can lead to more serious problems like chronic pain and infections. These problems can result in poor eating, speaking, and learning difficulties. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that children with poor oral skills often miss more school and end up with lower grades than those with healthy mouths and smiles.
What You Can Do as a Parent
Here at Burleson Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, we encourage you to be proactive with your child’s dental and oral health, especially when their primary teeth start coming in. Remember, tooth decay is preventable and there are ways you can help them as infants and as they grow into their teens.
- Wipe your baby’s gums twice a day with a clean, soft cloth. Once in the morning after their first feeding, and the other at night right before bedtime. This helps remove any sugars or bacteria that can cause cavities.
- When primary teeth come in, start brushing them using a small toothbrush with soft bristles. Use plain water, not toothpaste.
- We can apply fluoride varnish on primary teeth, which can help prevent up to 33% of cavities.
- Bring your child in to see us by their first birthday. This will allow us to spot any potential problems early.
Children under the age of six
- Show your child how to brush properly and watch them brush twice a day.
- Be sure they use pea-sized toothpaste with fluoride, and that they spit it out, not swallow it.
- Ensure they drink tap water with fluoride.
- When it’s appropriate, we can apply dental sealants, which help prevent cavities for years. Applying it to chewing surfaces of the molars prevents 80% of cavities.
Contact Our Kansas City Orthodontist Today To Schedule An Appointment!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other pediatric dental and orthodontic-related topics, feel free to contact Burleson Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, with four convenient orthodontic and pediatric dental offices located in the Kansas City, MO area by clicking here or by calling (816) 759-0123.